Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 am 

TQF30 is now out...

The issue opens with "Citadel Ninety-Nine" by Michael Canfield, in which a bloodthirsty army tears its way across a strange, strange world. Also in this issue…

John Greenwood plots the next point in Newton Braddell's weary journey. Jon Vagg shows what really goes on at conventions in "DeadSoulsCon". K.J. Hays tells the story of "The Zombie Who Went to Town in Style". K.J. Hannah Greenberg writes about creatures in mailboxes in "Just One Case of Flash: Another Chimera Story". And Ben Thomas & Skadi meic Beorh win this issue's best title award with "The Periodic Honking of the Fruit-Seller's Truck".

The issue ends with our usual bountiful selection of reviews, including comment on all of this year's British Fantasy Award-nominated novels, two books from Rhys Hughes, and a collection by Steve Redwood.

You can download this issue as a free pdf from our website (click here), buy it as a paperback book from Lulu (click here), or grab it in a variety of ebook formats from Feedbooks (click here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:09 am 

Who's Steve Redwood? Thomas Pynchon wants to know :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 pm 

Isn't he a famous tree surgeon?

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:32 pm 

He's our funny uncle... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 pm 

Hmm... funny - haha or funny - peculiar? :)

Hey, Stephen is TQF doing a Halloween Special this year?

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:18 pm 

Definitely both...

We won't be doing a Halloween special this year... I'm running a bit late, so the next two issues are planned for December 4 and then December 25. Then next year we'll go quarterly to stop it clashing with Dark Horizons.

Both issues should be good: we've got a story from Alison Littlewood in TQF31 (as well as lots of other people), and TQF32 will be an Ace-style double-book, with the final issue of Pantechnicon on the flipside.

I'm a bit disappointed, though - I'd hoped that with issue 32 we might catch up with McSweeney's, which been one of our goals for a while, but it looks like they might sneak issue 33 out before Christmas, the scoundrels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm 

Hmph!! Well, they may have an issue 33, but they don't have an Ali special...

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:54 am 

Rolnikov wrote:
TQF30 is now out...

And Ben Thomas & Skadi meic Beorh win this issue's best title award with "The Periodic Honking of the Fruit-Seller's Truck".

Interesting title indeed. I have to check this out just for this story alone, because I'm familiar with both author's work from The Willows.

Yeah, I got an email the other day; very sorry to hear about Pantechnicon.

FRESH BLOOD (print): http://www.genremall.com/anthologiesr.htm#freshblood

FRESH BLOOD (pdf): http://www.wargamevault.com/product_inf ... s_id=78120

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm 

If you've had a good Christmas, it's about to get better! If you've had a bad one, here is its saving grace! Theaker's 31 is here for your pleasure, with eight terrific stories and nineteen reviews.

We have fantasy from Zachary Jernigan and Heather Anastasiu, horror from Alex Smith and David M. Kinne, and science fiction from Alison J. Littlewood, David Tallerman, Glynn Barrass and John Greenwood, though as ever these genre labels are applied somewhat loosely! The marvellous cover is by Howard Watts, while Douglas Ogurek, Rafe McGregor and the editor supply reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:11 am 

Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #32 is now available. This special issue features the long-awaited conclusion of our very long-running serial, Newton Braddell's Inconclusive Researches into the Unknown. And on the flipside, a special treat, issue 10 of Pantechnicon! This issue of Pantechnicon includes Alex Davis (founder of Alt.Fiction and former BFS events organiser) on organising literary events and an interview with goremaster Herschell Gordon Lewis, as well as other stories and articles. The lovely TQF cover is by Howard Watts, the lovely Pantechnicon cover by Richard Dyke.

This is rather a sad issue for us. As mentioned above, we’d hoped for many, many years that with issue 32 we would finally catch up with McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern – in terms of issue numbers if nothing else. It was a silly, arbitrary goal, but one that kept us going. It wasn’t to be: we’ve produced this issue a bit late, and McSweeney’s managed to sneak out an issue 33 just as the year turned.

The second reason for our sadness is that this issue concludes the saga of Newton Braddell, a virtual ever-present in the magazine since his first appearance in issue 8, back in 2005. Herein we have the final four episodes: the magazine will be forever lessened.

In the style of British comics of old, TQF has absorbed one of the final issues of Pantechnicon, a fellow zine that ran out of steam, as Caroline has announced in another thread. Though I am always glad to see our rivals tumble to their doom, I was more than happy to help them get their last issues out to the world.

You can download the issue as a free pdf here from us, or from Feedbooks in various ebook formats, or even buy a handsome print copy from Lulu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:02 pm 

Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #33, perhaps our strangest ever issue, is now available in all our usual formats, many of them entirely free.

Our lead story is "NON", by Douglas Ogurek, a dizzying blur of new words, new fashions and new ideas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as by Anthony Burgess.

Steve Redwood's "Nose Trek" is the story of a nose that implodes upon itself, and the brave souls who go inside to investigate. What happens once the mass of mucus in a nostril has passed the Chandrasekhar limit?

"Houseguest" by D. Harlan Wilson is as odd – and exciting – as anyone who's read his other work would expect, while "El Aullido del Diablo" by Dean M. Drinkel is so entertainingly barmy that I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what it's about. "Bird Talk" by Mark Lord is almost incongruously normal, despite its mix of witches, clerics and boozy tramps.

The cover is by the wonderful Howard Watts, while the reviews are unfortunately by me. No Pantechnicon supplement this issue, but we have our fingers crossed that it will return, one last time, for #34.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:08 pm 

TQF34 is finally out. It features a series of terrific stories, an indulgent editorial, our first ever convention report, and a huge review section: twenty-two books, seven movies, three audio reviews, one comic and one game. The cover is once again by the wonderful Howard Watts.

This issue's stories are:

- The Chapel on the Headland, by Rafe McGregor
- The Needs of the Dead, by Jon Vagg
- The Frog God’s Chosen, by Steve Cotterill
- The Free Dynamos and the Lone Island in the Sky, by Mike Phillips
- Of Kith and Kin, by Howard Watts
- Barney Wilson, by Kevin Bridges
- Glass Houses, by David Tallerman
- Name the Planet, by Ross Gresham

The free pdf of this issue can be downloaded here (it's the perfect size for reading on an iPad). Ebook versions are available for free from Feedbooks. The 156pp paperback is available for £3.99 from Lulu. Further details here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:49 pm 

Feeling hopeless about 2011? Here's Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #35: 96 pages of fiction and reviews to wash away your pain with the pain of others. “Involuntary Muscle”, by Black Static contributor Maura McHugh, tells of Lilly, her unhappy life made more miserable yet by surprising news; “House of Nowhere”, a novella by Matthew Amundsen, concerns brave Hully Bo, trapped in a submerged house and tortured by the mean and mysterious Conjurer.

We then have reviews of books by Justin Isis, Brendan Connell, Lucius Shepard, Johnny Mains, André Gide, Kevin Anderson and Sam Stall, Scott Edelman and Kristine Ong Muslim, and of the latest instalments of Doctor Who and Harry Potter. In the comics section we take a look at Clint #4, Showcase Presents DC Comics Presents Superman Team-Ups, Vol. 1, and Strangers: Homicron.

The seasonal cover is by lovely Howard Watts. The issue’s available in all our usual formats, all but the print version completely free, and even that's under three quid. Links and further info here.

Our next issue will be #36, out on March 27.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 pm 

Eight stories and one article feature in issue 37 of Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction:

- Apoidroids by Douglas Thompson
- Make It Sacred by Mike Sweeney
- The Last Testament by Rafe McGregor
- Curios by Ben Kendall-Carpenter
- The Model of a Boy by Alex Smith
- Harrowing of the Barrow by Skadi meic Beorh
- Devilry at the Hanging Tree Inn by David Tallerman
- The Watchman by Chris Roper
- In the Shadow of Slartibartfast: Donald Cotton and Doctor Who’s Other Comedic Trilogy by Jacob Edwards

The editorial, How Could a Person Up and Call a Person Wack?!, addresses rather clumsily the suggestion put to us in recent months that giving books bad reviews is something one should avoid; it also briefly discusses what steps I'm taking to improve the visibility of female writers in future issues, given their embarrassingly total absence from this one.

The review section stretches to thirty pages, covering books by McSweeney’s, Jason Heller, Matthew Hughes, Ian Whates, Richard Parks, Adam Baker, Daniel Mills, Gary Fry, Andy Remic and D.F. Lewis, as well as CDs, comics and films.

Howard Watts is our beloved cover artist.

Further information and links to all the various formats (most of them completely free) can be found on our blog: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #37.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am 

Good editorial. The best piece of advice I ever saw on writers responding to bad reviews, reader negativity etc, came from Brian Keene. It was something along the lines of 'Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my book. I'm sorry it didn't agree with you, but hopefully you'll like the next one more.'

That's pure class.