Books Received - An Update
Listed below are the books received for review since the last update, which was back on 23 December 2011.
The observant will notice that for the first time I am listing titles supplied in electronic format, either those being published as e-books or where a PDF or similar has been supplied for review purposes in lieu of the paper book.
My position regarding e-formats remains unaltered. I don't own an e-reader and it's not high on my list of priorities for when disposable income is available, and so the choice for me is between reading a paper book while sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the fire, or sitting on a hard chair in the coldest room of the house reading from the same computer screen I've been staring at for most of the day. The latter option does not appeal; I do it when needs must, but it's not my preference.
However, I did review at least eighteen titles from electronic format in 2011. Mostly these were very short works - chapbook or novella length - and of the longer titles all were books that I wished to include in a particular feature (e.g. collections by Angela Slatter and Kaaron Warren, when they were our featured authors). In the circumstances it seems sensible to start including these in the 'books received' lists, and from now on I shall do so.
Publishers are welcome to send me e-format copies for review purposes - the formats that work for me are Kindle, PDF and, at a push, Word.doc - but please be aware that if you do so then you have less chance of being reviewed than if you provide a paper book. The exception to that last is if the request for a review copy comes from me, in which case the chances of actually being reviewed are exceptionally good regardless of what format you supply the book in.
As ever, people are welcome to query me regarding the possibility of a review by writing to email@example.com with the usual caveat that an expression of interest does not guarantee if or when a review will be done.
- Scott Sigler - Nocturnal - Crown Publishing hardback (ARC)
- Simon Kurt Unsworth - Rough Music - Spectral Press chapbook (e-ARC)
- Jonathan L. Howard - Johannes Cabal: The Fear Institute - Headline paperback
- Cherie Priest - Four and Twenty Blackbirds - Titan paperback
- Sarah Pinborough - The Chosen Seed - Gollancz paperback
- Simon Bestwick - The Faceless - Solaris paperback
- James Dawson - Hollow Pike - Indigo paperback
- Michele Lang - Dark Victory - Tor paperback
- Anne Rice - The Wolf's Gift - Chatto & Windus paperback
- Edited by Ellen Datlow - Wild Justice - Ash Tree Press e-book
- Edited by Otto Penzler - Zombies: A Compendium of the Living Dead - Corvus paperback
- M. K. Hume - Death of an Empire - Headline hardback
- Graeme Reynolds - High Moor - Horrific Tales Publishing paperback
- Barbara Roden - The Thames Horror and Other Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Calabash Press e-book
- Andrew Hook - Nitrospective - Dog Horn Publishing paperback
Section items by date: